So you might have heard through the grapevine that I will no longer be traveling solo. My new travel companion is none other than my newborn daughter, Poppyseed or Bosslady if you’re nasty. Since both of us are so far away from my family I want to start a travel fund in the event of an emergency. Before I booked our first ticket or rushed to open a bank account for travel I needed to get started on the process of getting her American passport and taking her first baby passport photo.
I could easily compare bank accounts for the best terms but the task of getting a photograph that met all US passport photo regulations seemed herculean. The requirements for a baby passport photo for the United States are strict and as follows:
- Baby’s eye MUST be open newborns sleep..like a lot
- Baby’s mouth must be closed so no crying?
- Baby’s chin must be visible what chin?
- Baby’s head should be straight on yes of course with my baby’s super neck strength
- No shadow on the baby’s face so I have to worry about the position of the sun, gotcha
- Baby’s ears should be visible my kid has massive cheeks that block her ears LOL
- Parent’s hands can not be in the photo I cant help my spaghetti necked kid hold up her head
- white or off-white background off-white totally means it can have spit up on it
If you have any experience with babies you have an appreciation for how impossible this all sounds. Of course I could have gone to a photo shop and paid someone to take her baby passport photo but really, what would be the fun in that? I referred to a few online tutorials on the matter and asked local parents for advice on how to get this done. With Poppyseed fed, clean and in a good mood I set out to do the unthinkable.
Three and half hours, 2 naps, 1 feeding, a diaper change, 3 backdrops, 47 pictures and a few f-bombs later we finally captured the perfect passport photo. I found an online tool called Passport Photo For You where I could upload the picture and crop it to meet the dimension requirements. I printed it out for .75 Eur cents and attached it to her passport application. Poppyseed is finally ready for take off. Our first trip will be in August to Copenhagen!
Watch this space for our upcoming adventures together!